Thursday, September 5, 2019
Dean Hurley - Low Harmonic Fanfare/Growth
This track puts you in my exact headspace at the moment. Holed up in the business center in San Jose Airport - a layover on my way to Chicago - I've had a restful day of low impact/low stress. I arrived at Long Beach Airport an hour and a half early and spent most of that time sitting absolutely still, regulating my breathing, giving Tool's Fear Inoculum a second chance. Turns out it's fantastic, and designed around what I would guess is a formidable, uncompromising vision. That said, I've come away from two repeated listens with a newfound respect, but still feeling I'm only ever going to make a connection in it when I'm sitting in an airport, sitting perfectly still. Which isn't often.
My life reached a stress pinnacle and I had to rethink how I do this blog. My work day is now overflowing, and the writing/business of starting a publishing imprint draws much of the rest of my time. I'm still going to do these entries as often as possible, I just don't know that it'll be every day. Or even every other day. We'll see. But anyone who reads, I thank you for doing so, and there will always be more awesome to come.
Beyondfest 2019's lineup is a dream come true. Well, I've been going for something like five years now, and it's always a dream come true. Here's the list - my order of priority is as follows:
• Joe Begos double feature of Bliss and VFW, with Begos, Josh Ethier, and probably a lot more of the cast and crew present. A few years ago when Begos came to Beyondfest with Mind's Eye, I think he brought like, everybody. It was pretty fucking awesome. I can't wait. Highest priority.
• Tom Atkins afternoon triple feature of Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Night of the Creeps, and John Carpenter's The Fog, with Atkins in person. Let me say that again: with Tom Atkins in person. 'Nuff said.
• Richard Stanley's The Color Out of Space, with Stanley in person. SOLD.
• Joe Bob Briggs - How Rednecks Saved Hollywood. Joe Bob in person, doing the lecture he's becoming very sought after in city after city to do. This man is a low-fi genius, and I look forward to hearing him do his thing in person.
• Tammy and the T-Rex- the newly restored 90s kid's movie that, turns out, was really a heavily edited, gorey A.F. revenge movie where a girl's murdered boyfriend's brain gets put into the body of a T Rex. I haven't seen this in either form, but I've heard it discussed on Shockwaves and I'm IN. Also, it immediately follows the Joe Bob, so that should be nice and easy to maneuver.
There's also a handful of free showings I might try to make, and some unannounced dates, at least one of which I'm crossing my fingers will be The Soska Sisters' in person screening their remake of David Cronenberg's Rabid. That would also get high priority in my book. We'll see. The last three years, getting tickets to a lot of these screenings becomes difficult because every year, Fandango crashes. This year, apparently, they've moved ticket sales to Brown Paper Tickets. Hopefully the handle everything better.
Another minor logistical problem with buying tickets to Beyondfest this Saturday is, about the time they go on sale, I'll be at Scary Perry's Halloween Store for their Scare Faire. Jonathan Grimm and I have a table - he'll be hocking prints, magnets, stickers and who knows what else with his unbelievable art, I'll have copies of both A Collection of Desires: 7 Tales of Modern Horror and the just-released Shadow Play Book One: Kim and Jessie. Unfortunately, due to some printing errors, I won't have as many copies as I would like, but there's a solid twenty of each, so if you're interested, come on down!
Playlist from the last couple days:
Budos Band - Burnt Offerings
Jenny Lewis - The Voyager
Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
Joy Division - Closer
The Ocean - Rhyacian: Untimely Meditations (2017 Version)
The Ocean - Aeolian
The Ocean - Precambrian
The Ocean - Anthropocentric
The Ocean - Heliocentric
Twin Temples - Shadows
Slipknot - We Are Not Your Kind
Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual
White Hex - Gold Nights