The first single from Baroness's upcoming album Stone, out September 15th. Pre-order HERE. Love this track - listen to Gina SHRED - you can hear the Randy Rhoads influence for sure!
I interviewed writer/artist/filmmaker Pat O'Malley yesterday about his comic Popscars, his short films, future projects and our shared love of cinema. Going into it, I hadn't realized Pat made short films, so I checked out his youtube channel HERE. I dug everything on there, but Pool Shark was, by far, my favorite. Check it out:
I was kinda blown away by the camera work on this. The first few times we see the Shark, they filmed it in a way that, at first, I thought it must be stock footage of a real shark. Talk about movie magic. My discussion with Pat should go up this weekend; Popscars issue #4 comes out this coming Wednesday, and if you're lucky, there might be copies of 1-3 still lurking on your shop's shelves. Published by the new Sumerian Comics - a rebranding of the company formerly known as Behemoth - this one is wide and, only the first chapter in a bigger story.
I was so blown away by Laird Barron's The Wind Began to Howl that I'm still unpacking/reveling in it. Because of that, I've found it difficult to start my planned reread of Stephen Graham Jones's My Heart is a Chainsaw. This will be a quick brush-up before diving into the recently published sequel Don't Fear the Reaper. Meanwhile, over on his Twitter, SGJ revealed the cover to the third and final installment in the trilogy, The Angel of Indian Lake.
Jones also linked the website Crimereads.com, who broke the cover image and have an excerpt from the novel up. Obviously, I'm not reading that until I get current, but it's cool that this is out there in the world. Talk about inspiration! You can read the excerpt at the Crimereads link above.
Witchskull - The Serpent Tide
Blut Aus Nord - What Once Was... Liber III EP
Spelljammer - Abyssal Trip
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Rina Mushonga - In a Galaxy
Godflesh - Purge
Mars Red Sky - Eponymous
Baroness - Last Word (pre-release single)
Bria - Cuntry Covers Vol. 1
Jawbox - For Your Own Special Sweetheart
Forhist - Eponynous
Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars
Chamber of Secrets, Clement Panchout & Mxxn - Murder House (Puppet Combo OST)
Pegboy - Strong Reaction
King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse
Two days of Pulls to put up here, as I was too busy with work yesterday to do a post:
• Nine of Swords again? My dreams have actually been fairly unremarkable or unrememberable the last few days.
• Ten of Disks - Wealth - The highest manifestation of the Earthly realms, which juxtaposed with Nine of Swords may explain why my dreams dried up all of a sudden. Earthly, material issues/items dampen the inner realms
• Prince of Wands - Airy aspect of Fire, or the intellectual thrust applied to conflict. In other words, Strategy.
Okay, so let's use today's Pull to try and make sense of that:
• Prince of Wands, sir, you have my attention. Something is amiss in my head, and I may find the answer if I can figure out (the aforementioned Strategy) how to 'unblock' my dream channel.
• Nine of Disks - Gain - Let's look past other interpretations of this card and go straight to its correlations to the Sephiroth.
Yesod - Imagination and reflection, the first stop when one leaves the bottom, earthly manifestation of the tenth plane (Sephiroth) and into the higher planes.
• VII: The Chariot - Control and Balance, but also the origin of ideas.
My overall read here is there's an idea locked inside me that I will need to access to finish something (my current project?), and I'm going to have to figure out how to get it. That probably doesn't mean I have to figure out how to get it out of my head, but how to recognize it when I 'see' it.